Grade 10 MaST Mathematics
Grade 10 MaST Mathematics covers three strands:
- Quadratic Relations of the form y = ax2 + bx + c
ü Investihating the Basic Properties of Quadratic Relations
ü Relating the Graph of and Its Transformations
ü Solving Quadratic Equations
ü Solving Problems Involving Quadratic Relations
- Analytic Geometry
ü Using Linear Systems to Solve Problems
ü Solving Problems Involving Properties of Line Segments
ü Using Analytic Geometry to Verify Geometric Properties
ü Investigating Similarity and Solving Problems Involving Similar Triangles
ü Solving Problems Involving the Trigonometry of Right Triangles
ü Solving Problems Involving the Trigonometry of Acute Triangles
- MaST Mathematics is an enriched experience. The course enables students to broaden their understanding of relationships and extend their problem-solving and algebraic skills througth investigation, the effective use of technololy, and abstract reasongning. Students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems.
- Curriculum material is generally presented at a quicker pace, and with more depth.
- Students in the program have the opportunity to participate in the Waterloo Mathematics Contest – Cayley Contest.
- Interested students have a chance from time to time to participate in “Math Jeopardy” during lunch time. They are improving their mathematics skills and have fun at the same time.
The grade ten MaST classes constructed clinometers with protractors, drinking straws, string, and weights. Clinometers are used to measure the angles of elevation. The grade 10s applied their knowledge of trigonometry to determine the heights of inaccessible objects like a flagpole or a school building.